Why Mighty Robot Isn't Ignoring Mobile



As anyone who has been following our blog will already know, we at Mighty Robot believe that great games should be accessible to everyone. One way we are ensuring that our fanbase can be as wide as possible is by making our games free-to-play. Our games Killshift and Blitz GT will be coming to consoles and PC, giving gamers from all walks of life the chance to experience high-quality driving action for free.


But one market we haven't yet addressed is the mobile gaming market. Well, worry not, because we have a plan to serve this audience as well. But first, let's talk about why mobile gaming is so important.


You don't need us to tell you that mobile gaming is a massive market. According to Statista, in 2020, smartphone games accounted for almost 50% of gaming revenue worldwide and, as mobile gaming increases in popularity, the industry is on track to surpass $100 billion in value by 2021. Part of this surge has obviously been driven by the pandemic, but many new gamers are likely to continue gaming after the pandemic has finished, and the portability of mobile gaming means the industry won't likely see as big a decline as the console or PC gaming markets.


The benefits of entering the mobile space are well documented. In our current world where 90% of adults have smartphones, with 95% of those smartphones getting daily use (Deloitte), almost everyone is a potential customer. While consoles and PC games usually target males in their 20s and 30s, mobile gamers represent a much wider demographic, in terms of both age and gender. Mobile gaming is split almost down the middle, with 51% of mobile gamers being female, and the other 49% being male (Mopub).


Our first foray into mobile gaming, Blinkfire – which we will be revealing more about very soon – is a slightly different proposition from our flagship console and PC releases. While Blinkfire still targets our core audience of old and new driving game fans, it embraces a more colourful and whimsical feel, widening its appeal to the different kinds of gamers who play on mobile.



Looking at the current landscape of mobile driving games, you will find lots of games focused around driving elite sports cars – games like CSR2, Asphalt 9: Legends, and so on. With Blinkfire, we hope to tap into some of the audience that Mario Kart Tour has served, entertaining gamers old and young with accessible driving action.


Our policy of free-to-win, combined with the extensive customisation and personalisation options, will keep players engaged over a longer period of time without gating content behind paywalls. While we won't be forcing players down a paid content route, the financial incentive of mobile platforms is an important part of our strategy too.


Mobile gaming profits have risen massively since the pandemic hit. According to analyst firm Sensor Tower, consumers spent $22.2 billion on mobile games in 2021's first quarter, a huge 25% jump from the previous year. Even as restrictions begin to lift, mobile gamers aren't slowing down – analytics provider App Annie reports that 30% more games were downloaded in the first quarter of 2021 than in the fourth quarter of 2019, and players spent a whopping $1.7 billion per week.


As this research notes, however, we are at a point where mobile games are reaching parity with their console and PC counterparts. The improving technology of mobile devices has meant that hit console and mobile games are often one and the same – Fortnite, PUBG, and most recently Genshin Impact have proved that free-to-play games can achieve incredible success with a multi-platform approach. While Blinkfire won't be available on home consoles or PC, it will incorporate our cross-game progression system that will allow our console and PC players to transition into the mobile scene with ease.


With a clear gap in the market for top-tier driving games on mobile platforms, there's never been a better time for us to make our move in this lucrative space.


#MightyRobot #FreetoPlay #DrivingGames #MobileGaming